Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Back2BackSBack



I’d gone to a Black Sabbath music extravaganza (more later) by myself but agreed to meet up with my wife, for some local delights at Makansutra and to go see what’s playing at the Esplanade outdoor theatre. I had received some Facebook info from AJ. I didn’t recollect clearly what the message was about, I only remembered it was not Shagies, the awesome house band @ Balaclava, where AJ normally blows the horn.



 I was really not sure what made me suggest to go to the Esplanade but what else does one do on a lovely Singapore Sunday evening the voice?? I rather watch live!
The carrot cake at Makansutra was great as usual, I love that stuff, and matched up with a can of Tiger my dinner was made perfect.
When we arrived at the outdoor theatre, the band had already started and the place was packed. Whoever this band was they sure had a popular following.

It turned out to be a band named Back2Back, a blast from the past, and the occasion was a, maybe long overdue, reunion. Apparently they were very popular some 23 years ago, bringing a mix of Latin, soul and R&B hits from the seventies and eighties. It was quite a sizable band with as mentioned AJ on Saxophone. Except for AJ, the Singer Rozie and one surprise guest, I did not get the other band members’ names but here are the various instruments:

Trompet (and something like it)



Saxophone

 

Keyboards 1


Keyboards 2


Drums


Guitar

Bass (Background vocals)


Rozie Rahim Vocals


and...surprise surprise Mohamed Noor on percussion.


Mohamed appeared to have a grand old time behind his golden set of conga’s and other percussion instruments. He was hammering away like there was not tomorrow, switching from sticks to hands and back. 



The highlight of the evening, in my opinion, though was when Rozie’s sister Rahima Rahim appeared on stage. 


The two sisters treated us with some golden oldies, that specifically Rahima presented with a powerful voice that hinted towards many years of singing and performing.



All and all it was another evening great entertainment. The band may now be a little rusty but hey, if I could only run the way I did 23 years ago!! 

I do wonder though where and why this stuff has been hidden from us!







No comments:

Post a Comment